Header

However you spend your free time, make sure it's even more thyme well-spent!

Friday, November 7, 2014

Turkey Meatballs

This is the second time I've made these meatballs--they were such a hit the first time, I tripled the batch (twice) for a get-together we're having in a few weeks. The recipe as written below is the original measurements, with my additions/changes.

The major change I made was to roast my meatballs as opposed to pan frying them. So much cleaner and faster - I was able to get all the meatballs on four baking sheets, then bake two at a time.

For a get together, I'll add the frozen meatballs to a crockpot with some jarred sauce for a few hours - they're delicious as-is or on a small roll with some Provolone cheese.

(I also made a batch of these Swedish meatballs for the same party. Yes, your math is correct: there are currently nine pounds of meatballs in my freezer. Hope everyone comes hungry!)

There may have been some sampling - aka quality control - going on as the meatballs cooled.

We pulled out a few from one batch to have meatball sandwiches for lunch - so good. I think I'll make another few pounds so we always have some on hand.



Ingredients:
  • 1/4 C plain dried bread crumbs
  • 1 small onion, finely dices
  • 3/4 C grated Romano
  • 2 T parsley, finely chopped 
  • 2 T whole milk
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 lb. ground turkey, preferably dark meat
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 400.
  2. Line four baking sheets with foil and spray with baking spray.
  3. In a large bowl, toss crumbs, onion, cheese and parsley. Add the turkey and mix lightly.
  4. In a small bowl, beat the egg and half and half together. Add to turkey mixture and gently combine, being careful not to overwork the meat. Season with salt and pepper. 
  5. Shape into golf-size balls.
  6. Place on prepared sheets, leaving an inch between each meatball.
  7. Roast for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
  8. Cool on racks, then serve or place in freezer bags and freeze for later use.
Source: Food Network

          No comments:

          Post a Comment