Header

However you spend your free time, make sure it's even more thyme well-spent!

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Goat Cheese Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms

I had no idea that artichoke bottoms were a thing until after I opened and drained a traditional can of artichoke hearts, made this recipe to a letter and ended up with a tasty but less than pretty appetizer. They looked nothing like the beautiful photos I was trying to replicate.

They tasted amazing, I assure you. But I was fascinated by the uniform, perfect cups in the picture and was on a mission.

And so I went in search of artichoke bottoms and for $28 (but free shipping, thanks to Amazon Prime) for six cans, I had them. And they made all the difference. (I would know - I made them three times in about a week and we enjoyed them as much each time.)



I made these for one of our monthly game nights, along with jerk chicken wings and jalapeno poppers. Everything was a hit, but these were among the first to go. And if anyone knows good food, it's this group - you work up quite an appetite strategizing over Jenga and stressing over the 5 Second Rule!



And so now I'm obsessed with these gorgeous vegetables, just waiting to be filled with any combination of stuffings. They are the perfect bite-sized nibble, easy to work with and beautiful to display. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

  • 2 cans (15-ounce) artichoke bottoms, drained and patted dry
  • 1 large log (11-ounce) goat cheese, room temperature
  • ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of artichokes to level and remove any remaining tough outer leaves. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
  3. In a bowl, combine goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, chives, parsley and salt and black pepper to taste. Spoon filling into artichokes, sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
  4. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling. Serve immediately.


Source: A Cookbook Obsession

No comments:

Post a Comment